All about Wedding and Groom's Cakes!
Wedding and Groom's Cakes!
There is a lot to know about wedding and groom's cakes and we hope this information helps in every way imaginable!
|Tuesday ||7:30am until 4:00pm (Walk-In Only)|
|Wednesday||7:30am until 4:00pm (Walk-In Only)|
|Thursday||7:30am until 4:00pm (Walk-In Only)|
|Friday||7:30am until 4:00pm (Walk-In Only)|
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Appointment times offered for Saturdays:
8:30am, 10:00am, 11:30am, 1:00pm, and 2:30pm
(Please note: Saturdays are very busy
and appointment slots book up fairly fast.
Therefore, if there is a particular Saturday that
you are interested in, it is best to schedule
your appointment as soon as possible.)
Appointment time slots are held for 15 minutes
after your schedule time.
During the months of December, January, and February, the bakery is open on Mondays during the holidays, including Mardi Gras. Therefore, consultations are available on those Mondays from 7:30am until 4:00pm (Walk-In Only). Due to the high volume of customers and limited space, we do not do consultations two days before a major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, & Mardi Gras). Please call our sales specialist at 504-837-0190 for exact dates.
*Please note that Haydel's is CLOSED for vacation two weeks each year; the week of Mardi Gras beginning on Fat Tuesday and the week of the 4th of July. Vacation dates vary annually depending on when these holidays fall. Please give us a call for exact dates.
- What do I need to bring to my consultation?
- If you are with a caterer that has given you a cake allowance card, please make sure to have that with you. Also if there are any images of designs you may be interested in please bring those in as well. In addition, we have albums for you to view in-store and online, and we have model cakes in our showcase.
- How long does a consultation typically take?
- Consultation times vary and range from 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on what needs to be discussed etc. However, the average consultation takes about one hour.
- Can I come in for a consultation even if I am not ready to place my order?
- Definitely! We want to make sure that you are completely ready before placing your order. We are here to make the process easy and are ready to assist with any design needs or answer any questions you may have before placing your order.
- How many people can I bring to my consultation?
- For the comfort of your party and all of our customers, we ask that you bring a maximum of 2 guests along for your consultation.
- Do you offer samples to taste at the consultation?
- Your consultation includes a sample tray of our almond wedding cake and the 9 fillings that we offer. If there are other flavors of cake you may be interested in, our sales specialist will be happy to assist you with trying any flavors we have available. Please call504-837-0190 for more information.
(Standard fillings: lemon, chocolate, buttercream, Irish cream, amaretto, praline, strawberry, raspberry and pineapple)
*Special fillings or cake upon request.
Shape: Wedding cakes come in many shapes. The most popular are round, square, oval, heart, and hexagon. Some brides like to mix the shapes, some like to keep it uniform, and some like to customize their cake into a special shape. However, a thing to keep in mind is stability since we are located in New Orleans, the streets are not completely smooth. We want to make sure that your cake arrives from point A to point B in perfect condition! (Price note: It does not cost any additional for the different shape options that we offer.)
Icing Options: Buttercream and rolled fondant are the two most popular types of icing. Rolled fondant icing is very dense and stable. Because of this, it can withstand a lot more stress and weight and is the most weather resistant option for the unique New Orleans climate. Buttercream icing on the other hand, is very soft and can't not withstand a lot of stresses or weight. Many images that you see in magazines and in advertisements are done in all rolled fondant to give that crisp, smooth appearance. Buttercream icing is very soft and it limits you from doing a lot of the fondant styles with it. Our sales specialist will assist with showing you alternate design options if needed. (Price note: Fondant icing is an upgraded charge above the cost of the cake itself.)
Size: All of our wedding cakes include double layer tiers, meaning within each tier there are 2 layers of cake. A lot of advertised cakes online and on social media sites can appear tall and narrow. Most of the time what gives the tiers the height that you see, is what we call triple layering the tiers. When making a tier triple layer you are adding an additional layer of cake within each tier. Triple layering adds weight to the cake which can sometimes lead to imperfections in the icing if using buttercream. With triple layer tiers you also can not have any fruit based fillings as they do hold well with the overall weight and stability of the cake. (Price note: There is an upcharge for triple layer tiers.)
See F.A.Q's for suggestions regarding number of servings.
Colors: Adding color to your wedding cake is a fun way of tying in the colors of your wedding. There are some things to think about when making these decisions.
- Deep dark colors on a wedding cake can appear black depending on the lighting in the venue. Therefore, if you decide to use deep purples, blues, browns, reds etc. be prepared that they may not appear the color you were anticipating.
- When dying icing, it is very difficult to always get an exact match. Our decorators work very hard to match every color brought in, but because of several factors (florescent lighting and climate/weather) colors can slightly change.
- One way to add color to your cake, instead of changing the color of the icing, is to have your florist add fresh flowers once the cake is delivered.
- Fabric ribbon on icing will change colors. There is a lot of moisture in icing and ribbon is porous, so it absorbs everything within the icing. The color of the ribbon will darken after it becomes completely saturated. If you decide to ice the entire cake a color and add fabric ribbon, the ribbon will absorb the food color in the icing and change the color of the ribbon completely. (Ex. An off-white icing is made with yellow, therefore adding white or any other color ribbon than black, can change the ribbon to a yellowish tint.)
- An idea for incorporating an accent color, without using ribbon, is to add a colored border or fondant ribbon at the base of the tiers instead.
- Gold and silver colors are very difficult to achieve with icing. Whether it be fondant or buttercream icing, it will have a matte finish. You have the option of adding luster, which a sales specialist can better explain at your consultation.
(Price note: Making the entire icing of a cake a color, other than white or off-white can have an upgraded charge above the cost of the cake itself. Luster is also additional upgrade depending on how it is used on the cake.)
| General Wedding and Groom's Cake|
How many people should my wedding cake and/or groom's cake serve?
We usually suggest that your cakes serve the amount of guest that will be attending your wedding. Typically your wedding cake serves the full amount of wedding guest, while the groom's cake is more like lagniappe. Sometimes brides will get a slightly smaller wedding cake and then the groom's cake will accommodate the difference. You know your guests better than we do and you want to make sure that you provide enough for what fits you and your guest.
How do I know what size my cake will be?
Our sizes are based on the overall amount of guest you were interested in serving.
- 15-60 servings- 2 tiers
- 75-150 servings- 3 tiers
- 175- 350 servings- 4 tiers
- 400-500 servings- 5 tier
- 500 plus (Please ask)
The width of the overall cake will vary depending on the actual serving amount.
How much should I budget for my wedding and/or groom's cake?
It can be difficult to budget an exact amount, as there are many factors to consider. Please give our sales specialist a call at 504-837-0190 and they will be happy to assist you with an estimate.
How far in advance should I place my order?
It is best to place your order at least 3-4 months in advance. There are several months throughout the year that are very popular and can book up quickly. We suggest placing your order as soon as you're ready, up to a year in advance.
Do I need to pay a deposit to place my order?
If you are with a caterer that will be giving you an allowance towards your cake, a deposit is not required. However, if you are not with a caterer or if you have upgrades above your allowance, then we require a $35.00 non-refundable deposit at the time the order is placed.
When is my final balance due?
Your final balance is due two weeks before the date of your wedding.
What forms of payment do you take?
If you are paying before the two week deadline, we welcome cash, credit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express), or check. Anything paid within two weeks of the wedding will be accepted in cash or credit only.
When do I need to bring in the remaining items for my cake order (topper, cake pulls, etc.)?
We ask that everything be brought in and finalized two weeks before the date of your wedding.
Can I place my order over the phone/email or do I have to come into the bakery?
It is always best to come in to meet with a sales specialist, but we understand that this is not always possible. We are happy to assist you with your order through phone/email.
If I place my order and then decide that I do not like what I picked, can I change it?
You have up until two weeks before the date of the wedding to finalize and make changes to your order.
I received a price quote when I came in for my consultation. Do you keep a copy of this on file?
Unfortunately we do not keep copies of the price quotes. The only thing that is kept on file is your physical order once it is placed. If you are in possession of a pink ticket than your order has been placed. If you have a white price quote ticket than the order has not been placed. If you have questions regarding a quote or your order please give our sales specialist a call at 504-837-0190 and they will be happy to assist you.
If I came in and for a consultation already and know exactly what I want, do I need to have another consultation in order to place the physical order?
Yes! A wedding cake order is very detailed and we want to make sure we get all information needed.
If I already ordered my wedding cake. Do I need to do a full consultation again to order my groom's cake?
If you have a very detailed groom's cake in mind or if you are still undecided on the specifics, it may be best to have another consultation. However, if you know exactly what you want and would prefer not to have another consultation then our sales specialist can assist you with your order over the counter or by phone/email.
I'm thinking of getting a cake plateau and do not know what size to get. How do I determine the correct size?
Please give our sales specialist a call at 504-837-0190 and they will be able to assist you with determining the correct size you will need to get.
Is it necessary to have a cake plateau?
It is not necessary, as every cake is placed onto a silver wrapped board. The top of the boards are iced and finished with a small decorative border around the edge. Therefore, if you do not get a cake plateau, your cake will look just as nice set onto the table itself.